We have received an invitation from the CBD-Secretariat to nominate a GYBN representative to represent us and speak at a High-profile conference on Neglected and Underutilized Species (NUS) from 10-13 December 2012, organized by FAO in Córdoba, Spain. The CBD is collaborating strongly with FAO through ‘’YUNGA” initiative (Youth and United Nations Global Alliance). GYBN have been asked to identify and nominate an official youth representative, preferably someone based in Europe, who will have all his/her travel and accommodation costs covered to participate in the Conference.
Through this representation, GYBN would like to bring the voice of a young person to represent future generations and speak on their behalf to the policy makers participating to this international debate. He/she should bring the perspective of the younger ones on why Neglected and Underutilized Species (NUS) are important and what we should be doing to safeguard and promote these valuable resources. This intervention of GYBN representative may be happening at the very end of the Conference.
We are now calling for self-nominations in order to identify our representative and speaker at that important conference. Please note that the CBD Secretariat has expressed a preference for someone based in Europe – however this would perhaps not be essential – Also note that the nominee must be someone who has a strong background in Biology and is specifically knowledgeable on Neglected and Underutilized Species (NUS) and who have shown strong commitment in supporting GYBN work. The person will also need to be able to represent GYBN in accordance with our Statute and Code of Conduct.
Please also note that, in accordance with GYBN Statute in its Representation during official meetings section, ''Priority will be given to GYBN representatives with particular expertise in the topic being discussed at the meeting or workshop. Representatives are responsible for […] reporting back to the network.'' This also means the nominee will commit to report back on the Conference to GBYN afterwards.
If you are interested to attend the above mentioned Conference in Spain, think you are a suitable candidate to represent GYBN please apply as soon as possible and by Sunday 4th November 2012 at midnight (11:59 pm) GMT. We will then inform the selected nominee by Tuesday 6th November. He/she will need to be available for an online preparation meeting to be held the weeks before the Conference. More details will be shared with that person. Please briefly answer to all required questions below in order to apply:
1) Full name
3) Nationality and Current address
4) Name of your organization, institution, university or other affiliation
5) Are you an active member with GBYN? Please briefly describe.
6) Are you available for the Conference duration and do you need assistance in visa to participate?
7) Do you commit to report back to GYBN after the Conference if selected and are you able to write the speech you will deliver with GYBN support?
8) Do you possess specific knowledge on Neglected and Underutilized Species (NUS)? Please answer in 100 words maximum.
9) How to you see the role of young people in addressing food security, agriculture and agrobiodiversity? Please answer in 100 words maximum.
10) Why do you think global youth should care about Neglected and Underutilized Species (NUS)? Please answer in 100 words maximum.
11) Is there any other information that you think positively affects your candidacy for this position (link, website, short biography, documents, etc)? If yes please describe.
Please do not attach extra documents to your nomination. Only links inside your answers will be considered. Do not forget to apply as soon as possible and by Sunday 4th November 2012 at midnight (11:59 pm) GMT. Send answers to questions above as attachment with an email file (Word.doc or Pdf only) to GYBN Interim Steering Committee at email@example.com We will then inform the selected nominee by Tuesday 6th November. He/she will need to be available for an online preparation meeting to be held the weeks before the Conference. Due to the expected higher number self-nominations, we cannot inform each applicant about the outcome of their self-nominations. However we will inform GYBN international mailing list about the results.