Wednesday, October 20, 2010

COP10 UPDATE: Temples vs. Meetings


Today was one of the longest, most rewarding days I have thus far in Japan. I woke up before the sun and quickly found myself in a peaceful park in front of a five-story temple. It was beautiful and I was able to attend a morning Buddhist ceremony. Then I went to the Congress Center for a working group meeting surrounding climate change and biodiversity. This is where all of the attending Parties (countries) can make statements and negotiate the documents that are intended to protect biodiversity. Following this I was able to go to the Nagoya Castle to absorb a little bit of the culture of Japan and learn about the history of this national treasure. After this quick adventure I attended two side events, one on coral reefs, and the other on the launch of the biodiversity badge. I finished off my day chairing the international youth meeting. I am not only learning valuable information at this conference on various environmental topics, but also becoming more aware on the conference functions. In addition I feel as though I am actually contributing to change. I am thrilled that I can help produce the platform in which other youth can take my place in the future. I am hoping that there are other passionate children out there that will help in the fight to protect biodiversity and our precious earth.
-Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment